Thursday, April 15, 2010

Alec's First Track Meet

Alec is competing in track this year. The first meet of the season was held yesterday. It was quite an ordeal with hundreds of middle school kids competing. Alec's events are: (1) 1600 meter (1 mile), (2) 800 meter, and (3) 200 meter relay. We were so proud of him! He did very well with those long skinny "Knopf legs." Since it was his very first meet, we didn't know what to expect. As his mother, I was just praying that he didn't come in last and that he didn't drop the baton in the relay. My prayers were answered on both counts. Four kids finished after him in the 1600 meter. And in the relay, he grabbed the baton and ran like lightning to the next exchange zone.

Finishing the first lap of the 1600 meter
(2nd in this group)

Approaching finish line in 1600 meter
(pushing it hard at the end)

We forced Alec to go out for track -- "lovingly urged" I like to say. He did not want to do anything in the spring after football and basketball this year. I kept saying to him, "But what if this is your thing? What if you are best at this? How will you know if you don't try?!" So he tried. Now he says he likes running track the best. He is very good at it and seems to enjoy the kids on his team. But Tim and I couldn't help wondering if it had something to do with the hordes of girls encircling him after every race telling him how great he did. Hmmm... whatever his motivation, we're just happy he's out there. And I'm pretty sure I was the loudest mom in the bleachers cheering for my baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment